Friday, January 8, 2016

The Early Workbasket ~ Make~Do Pinkeeps

Welcome friends and needleworkers!

Hope you're all enjoying a 
fabulous Friday!

First, a quick little shipping update on the 
Little Sparrow Pinkeep Club Kits.

Most kits were received at the Post Office on 
Monday, but due to a setback with the 
ink on my printer the remaining 
were received on Tuesday.

If you have not received your's yet, 
you should have it hopefully by Saturday or Monday. 

I sincerely apologize for the shipping delay!


The Early Workbasket...

Make~Do Pinkeeps...

Definition ~

A form of folk art, "make~do's" are useful objects created from
broken or old discarded oil lamp bases, cups, glasses, or 
  anything with an opening to put a pinkeep in or a 
shaft to put a pinkeep around.


Today, I'll share examples showing different 
materials and bases that can be used...
There was no right or wrong when it came to making~do,
ladies from days gone by just used their imagination!  


Search for vintage fabrics...
I've had so much fun collecting antique make~do's over 
the years, but any of these could easily be recreated!


I always keep my eyes open while antiquing for 
unique glass or wood bases...
When ever I purchase an old make~do, its's fun
 to imagine what the base was originally used 
 for...maybe this was a candle stick holder?


Do you have any old needlepoint pieces in your stash? 
Here's a great example of how you could transform
it into a sweet little make~do!


Here's the underside...
No two make~do's are alike, they seem to have simple
construction and what a great way to use pretty
  odds and ends just laying around!


This next example is my favorite...
I love, love, love anything Cobalt Blue! 


Wonderful faded, time worn velvet!


Or, maybe you like vintage Satin...
Do any of you collect "make~do's"?


I wonder what this base was...
Maybe a custard glass or malt glass?


In the days of using glass oil lamps, I'm sure they were
easily knocked over and while the top glass was
 easily broken and lower base usually survived
because of the heavy glass used...
This is a good example of an oil glass lamp base.


Sometimes there will be layers of different fabrics
covering over a previous worn out one...
Here you can see the multiple layers!


Embellishments...
Old lace is a nice choice.


This one also has several layers of old coverings...
Usually finished with just a simple thread 
gathered around the bottom!


This next photo is taken from one of my collector books...
Do you have any old glass bases that could be turned 
into something special for your sewing room?


An then there are the rare, elaborate Strawberry Make~Do's...
My favorite, I also love, love, love "Milk Glass"!


The large Strawberry on top is the pinkeep, while the 
 little hanging berries are emeries...to sharpen your needles!
Endless possibilities!!!


Hope you've enjoyed today's subject on "Make~Do's."
I'm going to have to try my hand at making a 
special make~do!


Weekend Soul Food...

A time to get, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.

Ecclesiastes 3:6~7...KJV


Fill your mind with happy thoughts, 
and blessings for a wonderful weekend!

Kindly, Tammy 





14 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Tammy... I love all the pin keeps. I gave a small collection but none are antiques. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, I hope you do try your hand at making these because I know they would be wonderful and we'll all want to follow your lead. It's going to be below zero this weekend so I'm going to tuck in and stitch on Mary Mustard Seed while I watch the birds at the feeders through the window. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tammy for sharing--You've given me an idea--I have an old oil lamp base--the chimney got broken and I never have been able to find another to fit, plus the part that holds the wick is falling apart--sooo. it seems like I have a good base for a make do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Tammy you may have started the next collection for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sweet..
    My heart is smiling.
    Thank you
    Love and hugs X

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great pinkeeps.
    Love the big Strawberry with Emeries.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea thanks for sharing what fun to keep memories of the past alive.....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. All so beautiful. My favorite are the strawberries !
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also loved the twin strawberries with the dropped emorys. Several years ago I joined a stitching group and at the first Christmas gift exchange I received an heart shaped makedo. It is still my favorite all time exchange gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely. I love making and looking at pinkeeps so much. I too love milk glass. One of the things I kick myself that I left in my other house was a chandelier made with milk glass globes. I have never seen another.
    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them all, they are beautiful!

    You know it seems like everyone has glued together cake stands and pedestals, using either silicon or E6000 glue, you could always marry some pieces together to get this look if you didn't have the style you wanted. Maybe Grandma's old chipped candlestick, or tea cup for a base, with an old flower vase added for height or something like that.

    Lovely, just plain lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your vintage sewing box...as well as the other items.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete