Friday, February 5, 2016

The Early Workbasket ~ Helping Hand

Welcome dear friends!

It's just amazing how time flies when you're having fun!

I find myself seeking moments of stillness
just to organize all the ideas flowing
in my head!

Please let me show you what's in today's Early Workbasket...  

The incredible working hand!


A raised fist is a symbol of "resistance and unity"...
This sweet little ivory hand with brass hardware is 
actually a needlecase.  


Early sewing tools were made to serve a purpose...
An Early Workbasket would not have been complete 
without an awl/stiletto of some sort.


This one is beautifully hand carved and in mint condition.
So wonderful to hold and wonder what the 
  original owners name was and what they looked like!


This extended hand has a lot going on...
First off it's proper name is a "Stanhope" needlecase, cira 1860's.

Named after the politician and inventor Lord Charles Stanhope
(1753~1816), who invented a microscopic lens the size of a pinhead.

This needlecase in the shape of a French parasol,
its tip still intact, has a "peep" in the handle which displays
miniaturize image.


Secondly, on the other end it serves as a crochet hook, 
which unscrews to open to the needlecase chamber...
Even though the threading is in worn condition,
it is still in good working condition.


My favorite helping hand is this little brass clamp...
I love using this on a regular basis!


When working on a large sampler, 
it works perfectly to hold my rolled linen.
It's truly a one of a kind...I've never seen another one like it!


On the side it has a small ring attached...
Originally, it probably hung from a Chatelaine.
(Chatelaines will be a future topic)


Collecting "hands" has become very popular and because
they are rare...makes them very sought after!
But, not impossible to find... many thanks to Etsy and Ebay!


Looking at this next piece, how old do you think it is?
Beautiful craftsmanship, heavy brass throughout, 
including the necklace chain, quality high power magnifying glass,
beautiful cut stones.

Believe it or not...I bought this brand new about five years ago!
I purchased it through one of my favorite mail order
catalogs, "Victorian Trading Company"

Excellent quality reproduction...5 Star Rating!


Hands were a popular theme not only for sewing items...
But, also for practical household items like this bottle opener!

These Hand and Heart openers can be found as 
original antiques and also reproduction ones are available.


I love the look of Milk Glass, how about you?
These handy little hands can hold so many different things!

Fairly easy to find when out antiquing, 
 always available on Etsy and Ebay.


Hope you enjoyed today's topic on "Helping Hands".
Do you have a favorite hand in your collection?

"Happy Hand Hunting"!


Please join me next Friday, to see what will be in  
The Early Workbasket...
You just never know what I'll randomly pick for a topic!


Do you remember my special little helper that
 I shared on Monday's blog?
I didn't know at the time what she was called, 
but I received a lovely email from a lady here in 
Wisconsin sharing her knowledge of bird watching!

She shared with me how incredibly fortunate I am to have
this little friend...very few in Wisconsin.

She is from northern Wisconsin, were there has been only 
one sighting of these adorable critters.

Wow, I had no idea...a Tufted Titmouse!

~**~

I bet you thought I forgot about the Valentine's Day
gift giveaway drawing, NOPE...
Just saving the best for last!


Congratulations to....
Laura T. from Belvidere, Illinois!


Here is a list of my Spring passions ~

~ spring cleaning
~ Lilac bushes blossoming
~ getting outside for long walks
~ spying my 1st Robin of the season

And a big thank you to ALL those who shared 
their love for Springtime!

~**~

Weekend Soul Food...

Give her of the fruit of her hands;
and let her own works praise her in the gates.

Proverbs 31:31...KJV

~**~

Yay, Today is Friday, and I would like to thank 
you all for being my friends!

Do you need to seek out some moments of stillness to
recharge YOUR creative batteries?

Wishing you all a fun weekend ahead,
Kindly, Tammy

This last photo is courtesy of my son Samuel...AWESOME PHOTO!
Back waters on the Mississippi River, LaCrosse, Wisconsin. 




11 comments:

  1. Samuel is very talented like his mother! Great photo! I came on the computer as soon as I got home from work and your post wasn't there and I was bummed but here it is and as wonderful as can be. Love your collections and the education that comes with them! Have a peaceful weekend. Krissy B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hands are an interesting topic, thanks for sharing.
    Great collection!
    The Tufted Titmouse is so cute.
    I've never seen them here in the southeast part of WI either.
    What a great pic your son took.
    Congrats to Laura!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! So enjoyed this topic as I didn't have much knowledge on this subject but always find them interesting....Samuel has such talent love his photos...blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic !
    Here in Pennsylvania we have many of these little birds. Beautiful to watch at the feeder. What a gorgeous pic from your son !
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely collection you have. Your son's picture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learn about the most interesting sewing implements here, it is always a pleasure and treat for the eyes of an antique lover. You seem to own many museum quality pieces.The nice thing is that your items are small, and take up little room, but are such treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have never even known things like this existed. I really enjoy this series you do on Fridays. That is just lovely and the workmanship is incredible.
    I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful collections. I am learning so much from you.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tammy: Love the photo of Sam's, reminds me of a late spring evening.
    Congratulations to the winner.
    I love seeing your Early Workbasket post.
    I have a Milk Glass Collection, love the hands, I have never seen the very small one before you are lucky.
    We have Tufted titmouse here, I think they like rush's and small stream's and river's.
    They are an interesting bird to watch when eating.
    When we had a dog one bird would sit and chirp at her and she would bark at it.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a girl, growing up in rural PA, a particular tufted titmouse would visit my mom's birdfeeder. She nicknamed him Tommy Titmouse. Besides the fact that he was cute as a button, he became my favorite because talking about him gave me the girlhood chance, when saying his name, to use a word I normally would never be allowed to use. So enjoyed your display of hands. Thank you for sharing in such a beautiful manner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a girl, growing up in rural PA, a particular tufted titmouse would visit my mom's birdfeeder. She nicknamed him Tommy Titmouse. Besides the fact that he was cute as a button, he became my favorite because talking about him gave me the girlhood chance, when saying his name, to use a word I normally would never be allowed to use. So enjoyed your display of hands. Thank you for sharing in such a beautiful manner.

    ReplyDelete