Friday, July 25, 2014

~ Farm Fresh Sawdust Tip For Pinkeeps ~

 Hello dear friends and stitchers!

Hard to believe it's Friday again....hope you're enjoying
this beautiful summer day.

I've got lots of different things to share with you today, 
and I'll start with my wonderful find from Ebay....

~ Early Primitive Sewing Basket ~

This sweet woven basket is from the 19th century.  What makes
it very unique is the two set-in attached basket pockets, 
and two attached pincushions.  


It's in wonderful condition for its age, the only sad 
thing is that it's missing a top lid, but that's
okay with me....I've got great plans for it!

**********

This next piece I've had in my collection for many years....

~Early Thread Well With Pincushion & Storage Box ~

I remember purchasing this lovely piece while on a road trip 
to Madison, Wisconsin to visit all my favorite shops.


 It's hard to find these 'Thread Wells' with all the original
pins that go through the center of the spool, and holds
it in place.  This one also has hand painted vines on 
the wood, plus its original pincushion.


The pincushion lifts up to reveal a center storage box.

**********

I know it's a little early to be thinking about Christmas, but in 
looking for inspiration for designing Christmas patterns 
coming up, I LOVE this book....

~ An Early Christmas ~
By Tina Woltman

Wow, this is a really awesome book filled with color photos
from cover to cover!


Hardcover, 160 Pages
Copyright 2011
Printed in the U.S.A. by Custom Printing, Inc.
Appleton, Wisconsin


It you love antiques and primitives, this book is overflowing
with wonderful ideas and inspiration.


Also, if you love German Sheep and Santa's....this is a book 
worth searching for.

During the Christmas season I'll share photos of my personal 
collection of antique German Sheep.

**********

Next up is my special feature for sharing my 
farm fresh idea on how I dispense SAWDUST.....


Back when I was a retail shop 'Salem Stitchery' I used
an antique automotive oil jar with the funnel 
top as my candy jar....it worked perfect for
candy hearts, jelly beans, candy corn,
M & M's etc. 

It was really nice because customers were only 
touching the candy that they were dispensing into their hand.


When I transitioned from my retail shop to designing, I had 
this empty dispenser, not knowing what to use it for.....one afternoon
the idea came to me, how about my sawdust?


I absolutely love how well the idea worked out!  It really keeps my 
work area nice and neat.

The tip of the funnel fits nicely into the slit of the pinkeep being
filled, and you can control the amount of sawdust coming
out.  I just keep slowing pouring the sawdust in and
keep packing it down with the tip of the funnel.


I was lucky to find an extra oil dispenser out in my husband's 
workshop....this one holds my crushed 
English Walnut Shell.

I love to use big old candy jars to store my extra supply.


Hope you like my idea?

******
Here is a photo from my Studio showing my one of my
 worktables with different fillers....


I love turning old objects into something practical for my 
sewing passions.


These smaller glass tobacco jars work well for odds and ends....let
YOUR imagination run wild!
(small oil cans, lavender & cedar balls)

**********

While walking out to our pond, I was so happy to see our 
Purple Cone Flower is in full bloom....


This field of Cone Flower covers about half an acre 
surrounding our pond....it's really pretty!


The sound of bees buzzing is really intense!


They just fly from one flower to the next.

Also, lots of butterflies, but I couldn't focus my camera on 
one that would stay still....I'll try again next week!

**********


We woke up to a nice gentle rain this morning...the 
Marigolds just love it!

**********

We had more visitors in our hay field....

Six Sand Hill Cranes walking and squawking....this time I 
was able to get a little closer.


They finally decided I must be a predator...and started to fly off.

********** 

I have decided the thread & linen for my next pattern....


The chosen threads will be DMC.


The linen for the model is going to be 32ct. Belfast 'Heritage'.


Here's a tiny peek at one of the Rabbit's eyes, sorry I can't 
show more.....maybe on Monday?

**********

I'm off to my daily trip to the post office.

Hope you enjoy your weekend.... please
stop back to visit me for my 
post on MONDAY.

Country Blessing,
~ Kindly, Tammy ~






















7 comments:

  1. Tammy... Thanks for showing all the goodies especially your dispensing ideas... I have a funnel and scoop..... Now I need to find a jar that has a screw on spout..... Great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy, Loved seeing all your sewing accessories. I like the idea of the oil container for the sawdust....will be stealing from hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful ways to re-purpose and re-use. Thanks for sharing, loved reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post...would love to see you in that field with the Sandhills! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you use the old for supplies.,my cup of tea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors for your next project. How do you know what the base linen is? I like the thickness and consistency in the Heritage piece you showed.

    ReplyDelete